Hats off to Barcelona!



Okay, so maybe it’s more about putting hats on then taking them off, but this was an afternoon I really enjoyed. This year on Sunday 12th April, Barcelona celebrated the 11th annual walk of ‘Passejada amb Barret’ or ‘Stroll with a Hat’, so it's something contemporary and you’re probably thinking, what the hell is it? 
To be honest, there’s no real culture or tradition to it, it’s just about wearing a hat, having some fun and in most cases looking absolutely ridiculous. It’s a celebration of the start of spring, and what better way then out in the warm sun, smiling and laughing with fellow hat lovers. 

I’ve got to say I was slightly apprehensive as to how many people would really be there wearing hats when the host family (I’ve moved in with my final family now) were explaining it to me. Nonetheless, I put on a hat, along with the dad and two family friends. As the official website for the event states 'hats reflect the personality of the wearer', - whilst I looked like I was off to Ascot to watch a horse race, the family friend's hat reflected his crazy humour by his choice of pinning to his head, a plastic plant in a flower pot. Of course, this resulted in many photos wanting to be taken of and with him. 

I didn’t really expect as many people to be there as there ended up being. Hats ranged from typical, to bowlers and top hats and more extravagant handmade efforts of small cars stuck onto cardboard, a hat made with plastic champagne glasses and someone who literally had a lamp shade on their head. Some people were even dressed up more than just a hat. It was very random and had little significance to spring, apart from perhaps the fact that spring brings more sun, and therefore a hat is needed for protection from this. Apparently the idea is inspired from an ‘Easter Parade’ that takes place in New York.  Regardless of its significance it’s fun and the people enjoyed it. It was also a nice ice breaker for my new family and I. 

Anyways, there’s a little information and some amusing photos for you to check out below. I spent my Sunday walking along Rambla de Catalunya modelling a very sophisticated hat; sophisticated being something I’m definitely not, whilst a lot of other people were at the Holi Festival frolicking about in paint. There’s always a lot happening in Barcelona! It's a great place to live!
















I swear this man is famous...







Comments

Popular Posts